Monday, September 18, 2006

Thanks for checking out the new blog! I started The Daly Show because I was fed up with Chris Daly's refusal to address the problems facing District 6. I've lived in the "Tender-Nob" (upper Tenderloin) for the past 9 years, and have seen the neighborhood change for the better -- for a while, anyway -- and then get worse and worse after Chris Daly was elected.

A few years ago, I got fed up with people defecating and urinating in front of the apartment building where I live, lying passed-out on the sidewalk, selling and smoking crack 24/7 right in front of my home, and a slew of other unpleasant things. I went in to City Hall to try to arrange a meeting with Chris Daly to ask for help cleaning up the neighborhood. But his assistant told me "Chris doesn't deal with those 'quality of life' issues". Excuse me?

What kind of an elected representative of a fairly small geographic area refuses to deal with the very things that matter most to their constituents? Apparently, Chris Daly, that's who. For the past 6 years he's been paid $120,000 a year -- out of the taxpayers' pockets -- to go to bat for the people who live in District 6. But in fact, he really doesn't care about us. He's got his pet issues, and those are all that matter to him.

And so, this blog. Every day, I'm going to post pictures of things around my neighborhood that shouldn't exist -- that WOULDN'T exist, if Chris Daly were doing his job. And I invite you to post your pictures too. That guy who's passed out and is blocking the sidewalk? Take a picture. The graffiti that keeps appearing on the nice old brick building next-door? Take a picture. The crack dealer that parades up and down your sidewalk? Take a picture, and send it in.

My theory is that, if enough of us remind Chris Daly what District 6 actually LOOKS LIKE, he will be forced to do his job as a public servant, or will be replaced with someone else who will. So please contribute to The Daly Show, and show Chris Daly how he's failed us all.

Thanks --

Mr. Tender-Nob


Oh -- and here's my first picture. It's an entryway that I walk past quite often. Charming, isn't it?

4 Comments:

Blogger the clicker said...

Hayes Valley is a 2 by 4 block artificial island surrounded by the Western Addition; it's "gentrification" is recent and incomplete, and it will probably never be immune from such incidents. However, the gateway I showed gets shat in every single day, and urinated in many times per day. There's a $200,000 public toilet just a block away, and there are bathrooms available in nearby businesses, so there's no excuse for using the streets as a toilet. But Chris Daly sees this as a "lifestyle" issue, where any other Supervisor rightly sees it as a legal infraction which should result in a ticket.

I'm not asking Mr. Daly to teach manners, as he has few enough manners of his own. Perhaps you're not aware of the time that he told a landlord activist in a Board of Supervisors' meeting to "fuck off". Or the time that he explicitly threated to "kick the ass" of another Supervisor. Or the time that he told reporters that he hated the Mayor. Or the time that he yelled in a police officer's face that he'd see him fired. I've personally watched Daly loose his cool many times at Board meetings. He has no self-control.

12:17 PM  
Blogger the clicker said...

How is threatening a colleague with bodily harm NOT "a manners issue"?! What kind of manners would permit a person to say such a thing? The First Amendment is no protection from the legal repurcussions of making physical threats. If I tell you I'm going to kick your ass, you can bet that law enforcement can arrest me for that, First Amendment or not.

No, I don't think that it's OK that any area should have to put up with public urination. But it is incontrovertible that it happens far more in the Tenderloin than in any other part of town, and it's equally true that Daly cares less about dealing with the issue than any other Supervisor.

If I could afford to live in D5, I gladly would. And that would help me save a considerable amount of shoe-rubber, going to and from Blue Bottle Coffee for my fix.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Mindful Life said...

Mr Tender Nob - I literally live around the block from where you took this photo (I know they just painted tha tother building green and put new cement in front of it) and I am SO HAPPY that you've made this website.

Sorry to say, Chris Daly doesn't care about us. He's using D6, which needs lots of attention, to build support for his real passion, which is activism. Only thing is, he's not interested in being an activist for us - the normal, average income people who struggle to live here.

Plus, he is REALLY pissing me off with all the phone calls.

11:41 PM  
Blogger the clicker said...

Mindful Life -- drop me an e-mail at uppertenderloin@yahoo.com , if you have a moment.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home